The Writers That Bind


Michelle Williams, the actress for whom I have a boundless admiration, was photographed recently in Portland walking her dog. Something about knowing that she was within the city limits, that we were breathing the same air, gave me an inexplicable thrill.

This is a woman who name-drops poets during press junkets. A woman who often talks about the pieces of literature that helped her prepare for a particular role. A woman who, when asked about her nonexistent romantic life, said, “I’m not lonely, and I think that has a lot to do with what’s on my bedside table rather than what’s in my bed.” A woman who carries clutches made to look like books (Salinger's A Catcher in the Rye and Miller's The Misfits) on the red carpet. She is a writer's actor.

My husband and I went out the evening after the photos were published online, and I kept hoping we would bump into her. Not because I wanted an autograph or a photo, or even to talk to her; I like her too much to accost her in public. I just wanted to slip her a piece of paper with the names of my favorite books on it.

I want her to read the essay "Liv Ullman in Spring" by Andre Dubus, the one I read to J in bed, which caused us both to drip tears onto our pillow. I want her to read The Chronology of Water by Lidia Yuknavitch, the only book I have ever finished and immediately started reading again from the beginning. I want her to read The Shadow of the Sun by Ryszard Kapuscinski, a book so beautiful it can only be read a few pages at a time, because any more would be too much to bear.

I want her to love the same books I love, to hold them under her sweater in the rain. I want her to idolize the same authors I do, to imagine hosting dinner parties for them at her house, as I imagine doing the same at mine. Somehow, this seems as good as knowing her. Maybe better.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...